Sunday, 3 July 2011
Asparagus Artichoke Salad
Thick asparagus spears are easier than thin to roast or grill without becoming too dry or over-cooked.
• 1 large shallot, sliced thin (can sub a few thin slices of red onion or some chopped spring onion)
• 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
• 2 pounds thick asparagus, rinsed, tough ends broken off and discarded (or saved for stock)
• 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
• 1 15-ounce jar of good quality marinated artichoke hearts, quartered or cut in half (depending on the size of the artichokes)
1 Soak the sliced shallots in the lemon juice as you get ready to make the rest of the salad.
2a To roast the asparagus, preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat the asparagus spears with 1 Tbsp of olive oil, and salt them well. Lay in a single layer in a foil-lined roasting pan, and cook for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned and fork tender.
2b To grill the asparagus, prepare your charcoal or gas grill for high direct heat. Coat the asparagus with 1 Tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill them until nicely charred and fork tender, between 5 to 10 minutes.
Remove the asparagus from the oven or grill and cut into bite-sized pieces.
3 Put the asparagus and all the remaining ingredients into a large bowl and mix to combine. Add as much of the marinating liquid from the jarred artichokes as you like. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Serve 6-8 as a side dish.
Simply Recipes http://simplyrecipes.com